Alan K. Goldstein
Alan Goldstein has 35 years of experience as a litigator and transactional lawyer in a broad variety of maritime, insurance, environmental, and other commercial matters throughout the United States.
Mr. Goldstein was appointed by the Department of Homeland Security in both the Bush and Obama administrations to the Lower Mississippi River Water Safety Advisory Committee (LWRMSAC), which advises the Department and the Coast Guard on issues of navigation safety. He is frequently called upon to address the legal aspects of doing business in U.S. ports and with port districts.
He has testified as an expert witness in federal litigation concerning the meaning and interpretation of bills of lading and other shipping documents.
Alan served multiple terms as a Senior Editorial Board Member of the CGL Reporter for the American Bar Association.
Areas of Practice
- Admiralty and Maritime Law
- Agribusiness Law
- Insurance Coverage
- Environmental Law
- Trial and Appellate Practice
- Illinois, 1987
- Missouri, 1986
- California, 1982
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1989
- Stanford Law School, Stanford, California
- J.D. - 1981
- Honors: Order of the Coif
- Northwestern University
- B.A. - 1978
- Honors: With Highest Distinction
- Honors: Phi Beta Kappa
- Recent Developments in Admiralty and Maritime Law, Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Law Journal, Co-Author, Fall, 2013
- A Short History of Discovery, The Anglo-American Law Review, Vol. 10, No. 4, Oct.-Dec, 1981
- To Sail or Not to Sail? Some Key Considerations Affecting Financiers, Owners and Operators of Water-Based Development Projects, (Co-Author) The St. Louis Bar Journal, Vol. 55, No. 2, 2008
- Demystifying the Jones Act, St. Louis Bar Journal, Vol. LXIII, № 4, 2016
- The Marine Insurance Doctrine of Uberrimae Fidei or Utmost Good Faith: Is it Archaic or Entrenched Federal Precedent?, ABA Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section, The Brief, Spring 2017, Vol. 46, No. 3, Co-Authored with Giles Howard
- In re the Matter of the Complaints of the American Milling Company, 409 F.3d 1005, 2005, 8th Cir. (Mo.)
- C. Hager & Sons Hinge Manufacturing Co. v. Home Insurance Co., et al., No. CV99-N-1663-E, 2001, N.D. Ala., Eastern Div.
- Glickman, Inc. v. Home Ins. Co., 86 F.3d 997., 1996, 10th Cir. (Kan.)
- Mamer v. Apex R.E.&T., 59 F.3d 780., 1995, 8th Cir.
- Falco Lime, Inc. v. Tide Towing Co., 29 F.3d 362, 29 Fed.R.Serv.3d 575., 1994, 8th Cir. (Mo.)
- Royal Service, Inc. v. Goody Products, Inc., 865 F.2d 1271, 1989, 9th Cir.
- "Social Media and the Waterways", The Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis, Maritime Law Seminar, September 28, 2017
- “Choosing the Right Commercial Structure for Your Marine Business: An Overview of Some Important Considerations”, Greater New Orleans Barge and Fleeting Seminar, 2017
- "The Marine Insurance Doctrine of Uberrimae Fidei or Utmost Good Faith: Is it Archaic or Entrenched Federal Precedent?”, ABA Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section’s Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee Midyear CLE Program, Toolbox Presentation, 2016
- “Environmental Liabilities in Real Estate Transactions,”, National Business Institute, 2012
- “Maintaining an Ethical Practice,” one segment of “Civil Court Procedure and Strategy Boot Camp," National Business Institute, 2012
- "Insurance Coverage in the 21st Century" (Seminar Chairman & Presenter), Lorman Education Services, 2008 to 2008
- "Junk Faxes and Liability Insurance: Is There Coverage For a Novel Claim?" (Co-Author), National Business Institute, 2008 to 2008
- "Discovery in Bad Faith Litigation" (Lecturer), National Business Institute, 2004 to 2004
- "Insurance Coverage Law: Third Party Coverage in Missouri" (Lecturer), National Business Institute, 1997 to 1997
Honors and Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America
- Named by Law & Politics as a Missouri and Kansas Super Lawyer in the fields of Transportation/Maritime and Insurance Coverage
- AV-rated by Martindale Hubbell (Top Rated Lawyer Award)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- The Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis, Member
- The Missouri Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Maritime Law Association of the United States, Proctor
Past Employment Positions
- The Hon. Thelton E. Henderson, Judge, U.S. District Court, Northern District of California, Law Clerk, 1981 to 1982