Maritime Law Attorneys with a National Practice Based in St. Louis
As maritime trial and appellate lawyers, we represent clients wherever vessels collide, cargo is damaged, seamen file suit, and other maritime disputes arise. We handle a broad variety of maritime issues including, among others:
- Marine insurance coverage disputes
- Maritime workers’ injury claims under the Jones Act, Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act and other compensation statutes
- Marine disasters involving
- Vessel collisions and allusions
- Groundings and sinkings
- Pollution, fires and explosions
- Destruction of marinas
- Cargo losses
- Administrative proceedings brought by the U.S. Coast Guard and other government agencies
- Maritime liens and the arrest of vessels
- Employment discrimination and wage claims
In major marine casualty cases, we have been a leader in successfully pursuing limitation of liability, which can dramatically reduce the exposure of the owner or operator of a vessel under certain circumstances. See In re in the Matter of the Complaints of the American Milling Company, 409 F.3d 1005 (8th Cir. (Mo.) 2005); In re Missouri Barge Line, Inc., 360 F.3d 885 (8th Cir. (Mo.) 2004).
In addition to maritime litigation, we also provide maritime counseling concerning all aspects of maritime regulatory compliance and maritime transactions, including maritime creditors’ rights.
Our expertise as maritime law attorneys has been recognized by the U.S. Court of Appeals, which requests our assistance in revising its admiralty rules; the U.S. Bankruptcy Court, which appointed our firm as special maritime counsel in a major bankruptcy proceeding; and industry groups and major law firms which regularly ask our firm for advice on issues of admiralty and maritime law.